Last week we were lucky enough to be able to sit down with one of our newest product designers- Kate Fenning from Yorke Lee. Kate’s Insta is a must follow (if you already aren’t) and is full of scandi themed interior inspiration as well as guaranteeing a giggle with Kate’s quirky and relatable humour!
We asked Kate how she grew Yorke Lee to be so successful, what life is like juggling being a mum of boys and working from home and she shared with us her hottest tips for creating a scandi feel for your home!
Kate, thank you for inviting us into your beautiful home! Can you tell us a little about what inspired you to start Yorkelee? Did you know it was going to be as successful as it is? And how did you grow Yorke Lee into what it is now?
My pleasure! I started Yorkelee after going on maternity leave from working in the advertising industry for 15 years, I wanted a break, and better work-life balance. I started Yorkelee as a creative outlet really, I was contracting to corporate clients, which I enjoyed, but felt it didn't let me create the kind of design that I loved. No, I had no idea it would be as successful as it is now, I'm just so thankful that people love what I do. The key to growing, in a businesses sense, is constantly learning from everything you do, challenging yourself and listening to criticism.
Is it hard juggling Yorke Lee, your day job and being a mum to your two beautiful boys - Yorke and Morrissey (who are only 3 and 4!)? You make it look easy, how do you do it!?
I would be lying if i said it was easy. I'm one of those people that can't just sit and do nothing, I'm always moving, always thinking, I just can't relax! It helps when you need to get things done, but is exhausting at the same time. I have to allocate specific time to spend with my boys, otherwise it just doesn't happen, we take our dog Chino for a walk every afternoon and the boys get to ride their bikes. We also do lots of family stuff together on the weekends, I still work weekends, but always after we have spent time together.
Okay, we love seeing the gorgeous snaps of your stunning scandi inspired home. Can you give us your 5 best tips to creating this look for ourselves?
1. less is more, don't try and add too much into a space
2. Prints are great for creating a Scandi 'feel' and they're so cheap, you can easily swap them over when you're bored with a print.
3. Online shopping! There are so many great products online that aren't in stores, I love to look through Insta and discover on-trend new products that are cool and affordable.
4. Don't be afraid of white space, it's so important to not clutter a wall or an area with too many prints or items, the eye needs to rest, white space is perfect for creating that perfect Scandi look.
5. I love to opt for the muted tones, deep grey's, muted blush, whites and add in some stripes or patterned products too.
Thank you for chatting with us! We are thrilled to be stocking some of Kate’s prints.